Saturday, June 23

foodie me part deux (because everyone cares what we're eating)

continued from here

My groceries:

from that giant grocery store -
frozen peas
pie shells
yves ground "chicken"
doz. eggs
bread
2 cans six bean blend
bulk whole wheat spaghetti
6 little chive plants on clearance for $0.44 (that may or may not die)
shredded asiago
can chick peas
peppercorns
slivered almonds
stringing cheese
2 cans diced tomatoes
cream
soy milk

total: $39.06

from the neighbourhood market:

tahini
tomato paste
water chestnuts
frozen blueberries
leek
parsley
lettuce
5 apples
3 red peppers
green pepper
6 oranges
kale
bananas
garlic
white onion
yellow onion
red onion
tiny butternut squash
2 grapefruits
2 mangoes
4 avocados
4 lemons
2 limes
carrots
rice vinegar

total $39.70

grand total: $78.76

Recipes:
Saturday - Marylin's World Famous Beans and Rice, from the Ultimate Healthy Eating Plan and Kelly Hogaboom's Marinated Kale Salad to which I added shredded carrot and substituted a little tahini and roasted sunflower seeds for roasted sesame seeds. Both got rave reviews.

Sunday - We will be making something close to this Quiche aux Poivrons Rouge, Poireaux et Chèvre, but with our own twists, such as the addition of peas and the use of feta and asiago.

Monday - Kelly Hogaboom's amazing Mango and Avocado Salad with Candied Almonds. The bread is from my freezer, served with this hummus from allrecipes.com. Pepper roasting how-to from allrecipes.com.

Tuesday - Leftovers inside these tortillas from recipezaar.com with fresh veggies and some cheese.

Wednesday - A simple tomato sauce:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion - diced
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 can tomatoes
1/2 can tomato paste
fresh basil (etc)

1. sauté onion in olive oil
2. add garlic, sauté until lightly browned
3. add tomatoes and bring to a boil
4. add basil, turn down heat and let simmer until ready to serve

Pita chips - quarter pita bread, brush or spray with olive oil, sprinkle with choice of herbs, place on baking tray in oven on about 350F until they start to get crispy, turn over and cook until they are desired crispyness. I like mine a little soft, if you like yours "chippier" use more oil and cook until brown.

Thursday - simple stir-fry over rice vermicelli with dipping tofu ala Hogaboom. My dipping sauce: 1/4 cup peanut butter, 2 Tbs hoisin sauce, 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 tsp rice vinegar, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 clove minced garlic, 2+ tsp minced or grated ginger, 1/2 - 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 2+ Tbsp water (to desired consistency). The recipe I adapted this from told me to boil it, I never have, I either mix by hand or if I am making a big batch, put it in the blender and serve cold. The measurements are approximate because I usually just make it from memory and taste it often. I take a portion of this out for Sebastian and then add garlic chili sauce to taste (Andrew refers to it as "cock sauce" because of the rooster on the bottle).

Friday - My version of Butternut Squash Risotto from my friend Heather who lived in the UK for a bit and so the original recipe says things like "tinned tomatoes" which I just adore, I was going to keep that in when I typed out my version, but I thought it might come across as mocking, so I didn't.

This risotto is easy to adjust for whatever veggies you have on hand and whatever flavour experience you feel like, add things like carrots, peas, broccoli, roasted peppers and anything else your family will eat. For a protein boost, add tofu, tvp, veggie “meat” or real meat when you’re sautéing the onions.

1 Tbsp oil (olive oil or butter have both worked well in my experience)
1/2 cup onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup rice (any kind will do, but tougher rices, like brown rice, will become less mushy)
2 cup water (plus extra as needed)
5 oz butternut squash, peeled and diced
8 or 10 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup cheese, grated (any kind will work, edam is my personal favourite and cheddar is always kid-friendly)
1/2 Tbsp + spice, depending on what vegetables and protein you are using you can add: dill with a little lemon, parsley, basil, or anything else you enjoy

1. melt butter/heat oil in pot, add onion (and any other additions), sauté until onion is translucent
2. add rice, coat well with oil, cook 1-2 minutes
3. add 2 cups water, cover and leave for 8 minutes
4. add in squash, cook another 5-10 minutes until soft. Add more water if necessary
5. stir in tomatoes and cheese, season to taste.

No comments: