Tuesday, August 28

sick day

Sebastian and I took a sick day today - we skipped the family centre this morning after a long series of small tantrums. That, combined with his still-runny (clear snot) nose, led me to believe that he wasn't feeling 100%. So, instead, we did one of those things we rarely do - we spent the day on the bed watching movies.

We watched Cars and Over the Hedge - two of his "favourites" before nap-time. I managed to get more done in my attempts to streamline our household processes (oh, oh, who used to be a manager???) and I am giving the whole (somewhat cultish) FlyLady bit another shot. Though this time it is on my terms!

During Sebastian's nap I watched Starsky and Hutch and got to work. I will post my progress as I work through this - I am figuring I only have a few short weeks left to get us onto something we can follow amid the chaos, one of which will be spent in another province, so I am poo-pooing the baby-steps and jumping in with both feet. The next little bit will likely include a lot of throwing ideas up and seeing what sticks. Thankfully we don't have anything too complex to worry about - our apartment is tiny and our budget small, my routines are already pretty simple - now it is just a matter of getting stuff to a point where a monkey could do it (knowing that that will be about how functional we will be post kid#2). Last month I made a master budget to take us through until fall, I need to tweak a few things (how on earth did I forget to include Andrew's monthly bus pass??) and extend it through to next year. This budget is based on months of budgeting and effort, but is to a point where I can automate most of our bill payments and set up calendar notifications that go to both Andrew and I when we need to physically do something.

Having done that and having done a lot of work on our meal plans and grocery habits, I figure consolidating everything and adding housework will be, if not simple - at least doable.

After Sebastian's nap I popped him back in front of the Backyardigans and did a little necessary nesting. Last week I cleaned out my cupboard and put all our bulk stuff into jars, so we can see what we really have.

And then today I scrubbed under the sink and finally organised our pots, pans, plastics and appliance cupboard (the biggest of three cupboards in our teeny kitchen). That's two huge things off my pre-baby to-do list (a long, long list).

In other news, my first-ever vegetable garden is making food we can eat - we got a nice harvest of peas and this last week we have eaten beans and onions from the garden. I have some beets and (a whole LOT of) cucumbers that will be ready for harvest pretty soon. There are even tomatoes on my tomato plants. This is especially exciting when I consider that I a) had not a clue what I was doing and b) pretty much neglected the whole thing all summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kate! You totally just inspired me to put all my bulk crap into jars. My pantry looks so much better. Now I'm going to search for a recipe for oatmeal raisin muffins, because I have 3 huge jars of rolled oats. Who knew?!

KT

Anonymous said...

glad to help! One of the perks of the civic strike is that my piled up recycling has proven to be quite inspirational. I have even got a few glass bottles in there, one full of sesame seeds and another one (not pictured) that is full of black beans.

I had been waiting to switch from my mountains of bags and such to some fancy-pants glass jars from Ikea - once we had the money to invest in a bunch, but this approach is a) free, b) green and c)looks pretty awesome, if I do say so myself! I will still get a few more really big jars from a store to hold more flour and pasta (unless someone I know happens to buy those giant glass jars of mayo or jam from Costco).

K

Anonymous said...

It is green, and it does look great. Fuck Ikea anyways!

Mwah
kt